Teacher in Whale Cove, Nunavut

Sunday 14 October 2012

Fall turns to winter

I am so sorry I haven't posted anything since last weekend. It's been a busy week full of report cards and left over turkey.
Last Monday I was able to get out on the land with Steve. We were looking for caribou but we only saw a snowy owl (which was really cool.) It was a beautiful day with no wind! Very calm and quiet.

Tuesday started off great! We received word that there were Beluga's close to shore. Me and a couple of the students were the first to arrive on the scene, we got to see and hear a beluga mommy and baby swim super close to shore. The water was so calm so you could see everything it was breath taking! One Whale was harpooned by one of my students (not the mommy or baby) which was very exciting for everyone to see.

This weekend was the Inuit Games. This was amazing to watch. I got to see the one leg and two leg high kick, caribou skip, kneel jump, arm reach, head pull and arm pull. Whale Cove cleaned house! Many of my students participated in the games and received medals. Saturday night we got to see a traditional inuit square dance, it was very interesting.

Today I went out on the land again with Steve. We didn't see much today but it was a beautiful day! We took a different trail than usual, rougher terrain and beautiful scenery!

No comments:

Post a Comment