Teacher in Whale Cove, Nunavut

Monday 20 August 2012

First Day of School

My first day seemed to good to be true. The students were amazing, everyone was friendly, it was smooth sailing.... until last period. Last period is never good because the students are tired and by that point just want to go home. My last period class is a grade ten english class. Grade ten is probably one of the most challenging grades to teach because there at that age where they made it through grade nine and therefore, they are untouchable. However, I made it through and am excited to get back at it tomorrow.

It's been a challenge to plan for alot of my subject because the school does not really have set curricular documents or set text books... so I've kinda just been creating different activities that fit in with the correlated subject until I receive some material.

I learned alot about my students today. In Nunavut if you want to say yes you raise your eyebrows and if you want to say no you scrunch your nose. It took a while for me to catch on to this. At first it was kinda just awkward because I thought the students were just staring at me when I would ask them a question; but they were actually answering with the eye brow raise. Also, alot of the students are fascinated by the fact that I do not have kids or that I am not married. This is because a number of my senior girls have children or are pregnant.

Anyways off to sleep for me!!  Wishing my Papa a very happy 74th Birthday! Love you!

Ps. It was colder today.. temperature seems to be dropping a degree every day. Today was 8 degrees Celsius

No comments:

Post a Comment